Friday, January 13, 2023

"Will Trent"

I tried.  I really did.  It's a top-notch cast, strong if not derivative writing (yes, we've seen this in "Psych", "Elementary" and half the detective series on television) and great production values.  There is just one thing.  Okay, maybe two.  First, it's dark.  Darker than it needs to be.  Even with the graphic violence kept outside of the frame the characters are haunted and sad.  Second, and the bigger factor here -- it's serialized.  The entire first season is a single case.  A kidnapping, no less.  The urgency in dealing with a kidnapping is lost when you spread it out over weeks and weeks.  Sorry.  If I wanted another "24" ... well, I don't.  And if I do, I'll binge the whole thing on Hulu after all the episodes are out.  In the meantime, will be giving a spin to the ~two~ other new shows which deal with kidnappings.  Hopefully in a less dour and more time-efficient manner.

No comments: