Friday, April 14, 2023

"Marcel the Shell with Shoes On"

In the style of a documentary this short and entertaining stop-motion film does the impossible ... it takes an ordinary object and instills it with oodles of life.  The film is absolutely charming.  Marcel, the shell, is an adorable fun creature who will grab your heart.  Dean Fleischer Camp created the character and envisioned the story, but Marcel's biggest asset is his voice, performed by Jenny Slate.  His awkward, humble nature comes out with every word.  There is also so much said in his pauses.  You will find yourself identifying with his unsureness of the world while his eagerness and innocence all speak to you.  You can be inspired, saddened and learn a lot about life while watching this little guy.  I smiled, laughed, and shed a tear.  For a nothing kind of story, I found myself on the edge of my seat, unable to look away.  It only took moments for me to become so attached that I was praying there would be a happy resolution.  It's a special thing ... a tiny tale which says so much.  Big thumbs up.

No comments: