Wednesday, December 14, 2022

"Derry Girls"

Honest-to-goodness, it's been decades since I've laughed this hard while watching a comedy.   In the short few days it took to binge this series, I guffawed until I was hoarse.  Maybe because it's because I'm kinda Irish?  In any case, a roared.  I laughed until I cried.  I laughed until I almost peed my pants.  Basic plot:  Four girls and one guy living in occupied Derry (1990s) are true terrors.  They have constant schemes which go about as badly as they can.  The parents of the teens, who have their own hysterical situations, aren't much help.  Add in a everyone's least favorite uncle, a nun with a bad attitude and a terrific 90s playlist and this show pretty much has it all.  Including layers.  The show may be (very) broad comedy but it is also subversive.  "The Troubles" plays out in the background throughout every episode.  It's an aside.  But it's not.  It's baked into the lives these people have, and is a foundation for the uproar and rebellion.  The show is freakin' brilliant and, had it not be for Covid interruptus, it would have been a huge award winner.  Every character is not only unique but indelible.  Quite frankly, it's far funnier than any of the so-called comedies which are Emmy darlings.  I'm still reflecting back on it a week after finishing all 19 episodes.  And oddly find myself talking with an Irish accent.  Watch it.  Slainte!

No comments: