Thursday, January 28, 2021

Three Musketeers ... or is it Four?

I've seen a few Musketeers in my time.  Frankly it comes in only second to "Robin Hood" for swashbuckling adaptations.  My first was the ever-so-famous 1973 version.  Have to say even though this was a critic favorite I've never warmed up to it, even after seeing it a few times.  Too slow and too dark.  It may be a faithful rendition of the book but if I want the book I'll read the book.  For films you have two hours to make me think about something other than Covid or, you know, real life.  With that as the benchmark I enjoy the 1993 film.  The dialog is ridiculous, the acting over the top, but it's fun.  Kiefer Sutherland is moody, Charlie Sheen is bizarrely religious and Oliver Platt is, well, Oliver Platt.  I kind of love his rude pretend superiority bit.  And Rebecca De Mornay's Milady was, IMHO, one of the best.  All the Miladys are great, frankly.  It must be fun to play the ultimate femme fatale.  De Mornay's version was just step up because the script allowed for some complicated levels in the character's motivations.  Even though I've seen it a good number of the times I still deconstruct her "ending" during every viewing (no spoiler here, Milady is a bad guy who always gets it in the end).  Recently saw a semi-new version of the Musketeer canon, filmed in 2011, which beat the fun-but cheesy 1993 film in a few important ways.  First of all it was less about highlighting Hollywood stars as it was about a group working together.  D'Artagnon's hair was still unfortunate but less so than in the '93 version.  The jokes were still there but didn't overwhelm a somewhat more serious script.  Milady gets to do something other than just seduce people and the fight sequences were terrific.  I always like fresh, new styles of stage combat and this didn't disappoint.  Critics dislike the wide berth it takes from the source material (hint:  airships) but the action is great and the story engaging, which is all I care about.  Also this one does a nicely subtle job of introducing the very real competition between England and France in a very delicate time.  Is it a classic?  No, but it's worth a few hours.  There are more to explore.  A BBC series, another upcoming film.  Who knows?  One of these days someone might make the perfect version.  But then we wouldn't have new chances to explore old material, would we?

No comments: