Monday, January 18, 2021

Jillian Bell

As is often the case, I just happened to watch two films back-to-back with something in common.  In this case, actor Jillian Bell.  It might not be a total coincidence.  Ms. Bell has had a busy couple of years and has SEVENTEEN credits listed for 2019-2020.  Kind of nice to see a not size-0 silicone-filled Hollywood starlet making good.  She's an actual actor, one who helped found the LA Groundlings and was a writer on Saturday Night Live.  And that's just the first line of her bio.  Not bad for a 36 year-old.

The two projects I saw her in:  First, I watched "Brittany Runs a Marathon" and then "Godmothered".  Both were good, both were unexpected, which I like.  "Brittany Runs a Marathon is surprising on a couple of levels.  The plot was expected but took turns I didn't see coming.  Fat girl trains for the NYC marathon?  Check.  Success in her endeavors?  Well ... (won't spoil it for you).  It's billed as a comedy but I have to say I didn't find it funny.  And Jillian's character is essentially mean.  She rags on everyone around her, bites every hand offered.  So we have an unlikeable lead who has a long road to travel, both literally and figuratively.  Not so much an inspirational story but a real one.  While the first part made me uncomfortable the resolutions worked.  I'd call it "satisfying".

The second film, "Godmothered" was to be holiday fluff which it mostly is but doesn't wrap up anywhere near where I thought it would.  For every twist I saw coming there was one I didn't.  The fresh take on a storybook tale made it very watchable and a little thoughtful.  Again, Ms. Bell struck a great balance between being a silly character and being grounded.  It was perfect for the tone of the whole thing.  

At the end of the year many young and unrealistically pretty people made the best of 2020 list, including Anya Taylor-Joy from "The Queen's Gambit" and the Korean pop group BTS.  While I wish them the best I have to say I'm more impressed with Ms. Bell and those like her.  Give me a little seasoning in all the sugar.  It's far more interesting.

No comments: