Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo


I really liked this Newbery winning book, one of the first Newberys in a while that had delighted me. Sadly, many of the students who have read it tell me they don’t like it – so I’m going to say why I did like it, and then let folks who didn’t like it say their piece. I think it is well-written. There is a flow to it and a clever story that engaged me right up front. I LOVED the author stepping out of her silent role to make sly comments on the action. I think it really works on a lot of levels – a cute kid’s story, a satiric adult piece. So that’s my two bits. Detractors, your turn.

2 comments:

Natascha said...

The Tale of Despereaux is a children's book. I'm 11, and in 6th grade, and when i read it, i thought it was meant for a six year old. I read it to my four year old sister, and she loved it. It's not really a novel for older people, but if you have a sibling that's 4-6 years old, they might love it

Book Fairy said...

This book is enchanting. It's not really a middle-school age level. The book is about a mouse who was born with enormous ears. This book is filled with his adventures, and has a twist of true love. This book is just amazing, and Kate DiCamillo is an amazing author.