Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sign of the Qin by L.G. Bass


Honestly, hated it. I anticipated something better in this first novel. The opening is lyric in the way it painted a picture with words, and the concept – bringing Chinese mythical characters to life – engaging. Unfortunately, the follow-through wasn’t there. After the delightful beginning and a neat story concept (a Prince is born with the mark of the rebels, his mother is thrown into the streets), the tale falls into a jumble of different viewpoints, none of which advance the story much. There is battle after battle, but in poor literary form, none of them seem to advance the plot at all. I began to feel like I was reading the book version of some inane computer game. A great majority of the characters are emotionally flat. I just didn’t care about them, with the exception of “Monkey” who was somewhat endearing. After plowing through this muddled mess, the “Great Battle” that would actually resolve something was about to begin…NOT. It was a cliff-hanger for the next book in the series. I won’t be reading it, I’m afraid.

No comments: