Monday, September 25, 2006

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak


I LOVED this book. It's a first novel, I believe, by a "quite young" Australian lad. The story is fresh and complex. There are realistic elements, fantastical parts, a mystery, a little action and a little romance. I liked it because I rarely could tell what was coming next, but also because the main character's voice was so incredibly rich -- I mean, I really want to know this guy. The story centers on Ed Kennedy, an aimless 19 year-old with a nice pack of solid friends and no actual goals in life. He foils a bank robbery (by accident) and then begins to get a series of messages directing him to a wide variety of people and places. You find yourself laughing, then sighing with sadness over the events that occur, with the whole story coming together like a marvelous puzzle -- revealing a breathtaking picture. Haven't seen something like this since "The Westing Game" by Raskin. This tale, however, is deeper, and, due to language and some situations, recommended for older teens. Pick it up if you want to read something NEW.

No comments: