Monday, September 25, 2006

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park


"A Single Shard" won the Newbery Award in 2002 and is the current pick for younger readers for the Public Library's Arlington Reads Campaign. Honestly, I didn't love it. I mean, I didn't dislike it, but it didn't ~shine~ for me the way I think a Newbery should. The story is one of a homeless boy in 12th century Korea who becomes an apprentice to a Master Potter. The writing is solid but predictable, with the boy learning all those "Karate Kid/Little Grasshopper" messages. There is enough action to interest readers and it has a male protagonist, so it is probable that this book is a good fit for upper elementary or lower middle school. I give it a "B". For a somewhat better tale, check out An Na's award-winning book, "A Step From Heaven".

1 comment:

Natascha said...

I read this book and i hated it. I don't think a 'B' is reasonable, an 'F' is. I dont think this book should deserve a Newberry.