Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan"

I don't dislike these kinds of action/adventure tales but I have quite frankly never taken them too seriously.  There are good guys, bad guys, things blowing up, etc.  This series pleasantly surprised me.  Yes, there are things blowing up, frequently, but there is tremendous subtlety not typically seen in work of this kind.  Instead of black and whites there are greys.  The CIA officer is conflicted about his work, the soldier is guilty about the lives he takes, the terrorist plays Monopoly with his kids, a Muslim man gives tea to the man who killed his son.  And the women, oh, the women.  With spines of steel the women in this series were light-years beyond Bond bimbettes.  They aren't a size two and they fight to do the right thing, often at their peril.  I've never cried in an action film before but I cried several times during this series, including a moment on a beach, looking into the faces of refugees desperate to find safety.  I don't think this story would have been told this way a few years back but I am thankful for its relevance and the powerful points it makes in the current day.  Bravo Tom Clancy and Amazon.  This was a thinking person's action tale.  Absolutely worth the time.

No comments: