Wednesday, January 09, 2019

"A Quiet Place"

NOT a fan of horror but as a SAG voter I will watch whatever is sent to me, particularly if I have to vote on it.  If I choose to watch it at 10am on a sunny day, however, that is entirely my choice.  With real diversity of genres finally invading the award world horror has begun to make it into the annual film-binging.  Last year was "Get Out" which was scary as hell but quite brilliant.  This year it is "A Quiet Place" which is equally scary as hell and perhaps even more brilliant.  The premise and execution of this idea, that humans have to remain completely silent or get eaten by the big bad aliens, is just inspired.  Produced, directed and starring John Krasinski and his wife, Emily Blunt, the film had me on the edge of my seat for every single one of the 90 minutes, much of it covering my mouth.  You know the premise is well-done when you buy in so completely that you don't dare scream in places where, quite frankly, you need to scream.  I did jump a good deal but very very quietly.  Even after the film was over I felt I had to be quiet, tip-toeing down the stairs for a snack.  The kids, of course, are left out of actor nominations but should be given huge credit for their work.  Millicent Simmonds does a truly amazing job of communicating her conflicting emotions after an unimaginable loss and Noah Jupe's sense of horror ripples across his face time and time again, looking like an Edvard Munch still-life.  The film is exquisitely made and allows the silence to swallow you whole, only occasionally using underscoring.  It is this focus on the actors and action which makes the film truly good and not just one of a given genre.  Krasinski, like his wife, is having a good year, being honored for his work in Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan".  How he managed to make and star in this film as well as that series is beyond me.  In any case, this story is outstanding and really made an impression, "sticking with me".  Just don't watch it alone.  Or at night. 

No comments: