Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Deadpool

Hands down one of the more conflicted reviews of my life.  I LOVED the humor, which begins with opening credits and was smart and sharp.  I laughed through the entire film, which had an interesting plot -- and that's not easy to say in the glut of super-hero films out right now.  This one manages to avoid the cookie-cutter storyline in almost every action movie of the summer.  They do it by allowing Deadpool to be the complex anti-hero that he is.  But.  This isn't just R Rated, it is the closest I have seen to an "M" rating in a long, long time.  Every song used in the film is a rap thing with the F word throughout.  The violence is visceral, with digitized blood spatter on the camera lens, a beheading in the first three minutes and brain matter spewing out repeatedly in head shot after head shot.  There are a lot of head shots.  And chest shots.  And yes, more beheadings.  Not to mention the sex -- although I'm never going to complain about seeing Morena Baccarin in hooker-wear.  All of that being said I'm giving it a thumbs-up.  Prepared for the gory violence, lewd conduct and obscene language I could tolerate, even enjoy the sequel.  This is tongue-in-cheek (and other places ...)  If I know that and don't take it seriously, there are serious hee-haws to be had.  But don't take the kids.

No comments: