Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Coco

In addition to reading a little and writing a lot, I am using the summer to explore the treasures that are APL DVDs.  Coco, winner of last year's animated film Oscar, was the most recent delight.  And a delight it is.  Visually stunning, fresh and layered, this one is a film which can really be appreciated by the entire family.  Demystifying death by exploring the Dios de la Muerte celebrations of Mexico, the movie touches on deep topics with a sensitive brush.  The hugely engaging and fully dimensional lead character, Miguel, feels so real he could step off the screen and be one of any of the kids who play ball in the street on my block.  With enough twists to keep me engaged (I didn't see most of them coming) and a well-thought out script I fully enjoyed this contemporary, clever tale.

No comments: