Monday, February 12, 2024

"The Marvels"

Yet another good action film which got trashed for reasons which aren't entirely clear.  I mean, it's not Shakespeare, it's Marvel.  And, like all Marvel films, you have the big bad thing, the fights, the bonding, the amusing asides, the world-ending peril which must be stopped.  The blend of actors -- Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris and Iman Vellani really works.  Each brings a needed "seasoning" -- funny, serious, hopeful, broken, angry, sad, determined.  The dialogue flows well amidst the frequent fisticuffs and, of course, there are loose threads for the next ten sequels.  Maybe it's just a last straw thing.  You really need to watch a number of Marvel films before this one to get all the references and the unfinished storylines are getting old.  I'm one of those who has been saying "ugh" lately when it's clear that a Marvel movie's only purpose is to prep for the next Marvel movie.  But I enjoyed this one.  There is singing (hee hee) and flerken -- adorable AND dangerous!  It's worth an hour and 45 minutes.  And I kind of love Iman Vellani's exuberant/over-the-top Ms. Marvel.  And her whole family.  They bring joy into my heart.  In any case, I'd be more likely watch it again than some of the other 32 (THIRTY-TWO) films in this particular cycle.  And I've seen them all.

No comments: