Friday, February 09, 2024

"The Last of Us"

Look, I adore Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey.  They are both talented and this production is extraordinarily well done.  Everything, from acting to directing to script, is terrific.  But it's a post-apocalyptic, zombie tale.  I don't like zombies.  What's the point of a bad guy who is insensate?  And, after some 20 years, I'm pretty burned out on the post-apocalyptic thing.  Put them together?  Sorry.  I just can't power through.  And it's not like I didn't try.  But it's also pretty predictable.  Zombies start eating people.  A scrappy, hardened group of survivors set up a refuge which is "fairly" secure.  Someone with military training has to leave the refuge for some reason and there is the dangerous travel, filled with killing a lot of zombies, which often lands in a place which seems really nice on the surface but has an ugly core.  The military person continues their trek and finds the end of the road.  But the end of the road is not what the military person thinks it is.  Yeah, been there, done that.  I'll take a vampire series (or witches or whatever) over zombies every time.  Sorry.  If you are into a bleak dystopia and visceral violence, this is a great addition to the canon.  If not, may I recommend "Red, White, and Royal Blue."

No comments: