Thursday, June 22, 2023

"Raya and the Last Dragon"

This little animated gem was one of many missed films during Covid.  It's a shame.  Had it premiered in the "before-times" it probably would have been a hit.  The story is a completely made-up South Asian legend which feels very authentic.  Female forward and with a pacifist message, there are a good number of fisticuffs but a fair amount of fodder for the Disney-haters.  I can't help thinking, however, that a message about learning to trust each other, to love your enemy -- it's not just biblical, it's kind of what we need in this day and age.  I also appreciate that the characters aren't lily white and don't break out into song periodically.  That being said, it's not perfect.  The aforementioned dragons are a little too "My Little Pony" for my taste (although Awkwafina's boundless energy and humor bleeds through in every scene, making the movie extremely watchable) and the inevitable hard sacrifices take on less meaning when Disney goes for the picture perfect ending.  Nonetheless, I did have a tear in my eye.  This film is good.  Quite good.  I didn't get the least bit ancy and hesitated to hit the pause button when I needed to step away for a moment.  Brava.  If you are looking for newish fare over a slow summer, go for it.  

No comments: