Tuesday, June 13, 2023

"Kiss Today Goodbye, the Sweetness and the Sorrow ..."

It's that time of year.  The time to say goodbye.  To shows I watched but was so-so on -- like "Andor".  To shows I stopped watching a good while back, including "The Blacklist" and "The Flash".  To shows I liked but which came to an expected end, like "New Amsterdam" and "The Umbrella Academy".  There was also, of course, "A Million Little Things".  This kleenex show went out as came in ... with grace, gravitas, and a few laughs.  I saw it coming with some shows I liked, such as "Call Me Kat" and "Fantasy Island".  I didn't see it coming with other shows I liked, such as "Kung Fu".  Or shows I loved, like "The Company You Keep".  Or shows I was just getting to like, such as "East New York".  

Oddly, the show I'm having the hardest time bidding adieu to is "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel".  Beyond really liking the amazing cast, the smart and fast-paced dialog, the incredible clothes; I really liked the messages.  About women and power.  It's also ... weird.  The series began in 2017.  When I look at how my life has changed since 2017 I am a little dumbstruck.  It is as if I watched season one in another life and I have been completely reborn since.  It's as if the person watching season five is a completely different person.  It's almost dystopian.  But not.  In any case, as they say, it's not over until it's over.  Finales for "The Crown", "Stranger Things", and "The Handmaid's Tale" are coming.  But thanks to the WGA strike, and possibly the SAG strike, it could be a while.  Probably have another year before having to mourn yet again.

No comments: