Wednesday, February 23, 2022

"Kim's Convenience"

Now is the time for diverse shows to show us the humanity of all people.  "Kim's Convenience" provides laughs at the ethnic eccentricity of a Korean immigrant family but also reveals to us what we have in common.  Premiering a year after "Fresh Off the Boat" this series has more meat on the bone, feels more real and more grounded, than its American counterpart (it is based in Toronto).  Laugh-out-loud funny it is extremely watchable with a host of likeable characters.  One of those streaming shows I can play for hours because I just like being invited into this world -- and I do feel like I have been invited.  Word has it that things weren't so peachy behind the scenes where a predominantly white production staff didn't give weight to the suggestions of the Korean cast but I have to say that wasn't evidenced in the final product, which rings with warmth and caring.  A great series for a divided time.

No comments: