Monday, August 19, 2019

Two Sentence Horror Stories

The idea is cool.  Create a shivering two sentences, tease the first at the beginning of each half-hour segment and reflect the horror at the end of the show with the second sentence.  And, while I don't particularly like gory drippy horror, I do enjoy "Twilight Zone" and other programs which creep me out.  The problem here is execution.  I'm easily scared.  I screamed during a showing of "Audrey Rose" and that was a truly terrible film.  I watched two episodes of this and wasn't even a little bit scared.  In the case of the premiere episode, I guessed the ending in the first few minutes.  There was also a concern about the choice of tales.  While I only watched the first two episodes I couldn't help but notice that there was a unifying theme -- women being abused and getting back in a kind of "Burning Bed" manner.  It wasn't so much creepy as sad.  The women's movement has come this far only to be placed back into a box of victim/cruel and crazy revenge seeker.  It didn't wow me.  The production values are strong and the acting solid but I won't be coming back for more.

No comments: