Sunday, January 28, 2024

"The Holdovers"

It's fine.  Just fine.  Not brilliant, not lousy.  Fine.  No new territory here.  Exclusive boy's school somewhere in New England with stuffy professors and troubled rich kids.  Set in 1970.  At Christmas, a cranky prof, a difficult boy and a mother in mourning find themselves alone and drifting.  They break through the icy exteriors, make connections, learn a little about each other and themselves at the same time.  There is good acting.  But I feel like I've seen this movie a bunch of times.  I didn't walk away with anything fresh.  I didn't even think about it much afterwards.  And how it nabbed a best picture nom over "The Color Purple", I'll never know.  Lastly, one note -- if you are setting a film in 1970, please have a better soundtrack.  This was one of the most iconic time periods of rock music.  You couldn't create a better score?

No comments: