Monday, August 07, 2023

"Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls: Essays, Etc" by David Sedaris

Recent travel gave me time to explore this older collection of Sedaris works.  Funny, profane, reflective and enjoyable, I could hear the author's voice coming through loud and clear.  It was interesting, and worth thinking about, how his childhood both formed and damaged him.  His overseas adventures figure prominently here and are a good example of how world travel for both him, and me, has a tendency to change you.  The one confusing note, initially, was the inclusion of fictionalized mini-stories with the personal essays.  Once I was oriented to them, I was fine but there were some "huh, what is happening?" moments.  These stories are a Jonathan Swift homage, with various characters engaging in extreme reactions to the day-to-day.  Like Swift, Sedaris is making a point by pushing the boundries.  It is funny, if you like bitchy and sardonic.  Which I do.  The perfect companion on a long flight.

No comments: