Sunday, March 12, 2023

Say Goodbye

In terms of mid-season shows there are some hits and some misses.  As the DVR fills up, I make it a habit to analyze whether I really want to keep watching the shows which are always on the bottom of the viewing list.  These didn't make the cut.

"Animal Control".  I mistakenly thought this would be a soft and fuzzy sitcom, not unlike "Call Me Kat".  It is, as noted by the title, a show which should feature a lot of furry friends.  It didn't live up to expectations.  It's a dumb workplace comedy which looks a lot like every other workplace comedy (with a weird fixation on food ...).  The animal scenes are stupid, with stuffed animals and unrealistic animatronic creatures.  Think "coked out bunnies".  This was a fast NO.

Also on FOX, there is "Accused".  I tried.  I really did.  I like a good legal drama and the guest stars are ... amazing.  The style of bringing in viewers without much of the information was unique.  But here's the thing ... I don't think people are essentially evil.  I mean, people aren't born evil, in my humble opinion.  I would say that evil exists, certainly, but it is far more rare than certain TV networks (and so-called "news" stations) would have us believe.  I think most people get caught up in the criminal justice system for a lot of complicated reasons.  Poverty, poor education, addiction, trauma, abuse.  All of it leads to impulsive behavior and bad decision-making.  And people end up in prison.  Shows like this, which highlight the rare and the perverse, are not my cup of tea.  I'm far more interested in the complexity of how people come to commit crimes than being a voyeur of the dark and disturbed.  Again, I have to say "Columbo" remains a favorite.  He never judged.  And the perpetrators were not always awful.  They were just human.  

Not new but glad to say "bye" -- "La Brea".  Maybe, with age, comes a certain lack of patience.  I always try to support Sci Fi shows, because they don't get the backing I think they should.  But of all the sci fi out there ... why this one?  There are plot holes, in every episode, big enough for Mack Trucks.  I kind of had it.  "Alert:  Missing Persons Unit" has similar issues, but I like the cast more.  For now, anyway.  We'll see.  In any case, watched to the end of season two for "La Brea" and took a breath of release when I cleared it from my DVR queue.


No comments: