Tuesday, November 30, 2021

"Flipped"

Not sure how I missed this Rob Reiner film which is already eleven years old.  I make it a point to see everything the man has directed and have never disliked a single film he's made.  This one is quiet and sweet.  Perhaps it was so niche that it was overlooked?  1957.  Bryce moves into a new home and is immediately repulsed by Juli, who forms an immediate crush on the boy.  Then, the movie flips.  And we see the first encounter from Juli's point of view.  It continues.  Into tales of school and trials and tribulations and growing up.  The story continues to flip from one point of view to the other.  It's fascinating and a little adorable.  I felt I couldn't look away.  Will Bryce and Juli ever see things the same way?  (Vision is an element of the tale).  Based on the Wendelin Van Draanen book this one is a keeper.  I just wish more people knew about it.

No comments: