Wednesday, August 18, 2021

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

Yes, I'm late to the party but the book showed up in my Little Free Library and I needed something to read while traveling, so ...

I do know, as a librarian, this book never stayed on the shelf.  It wasn't just popular it was MASSIVELY popular, and now I get it.  Not that it's fabulous, it's not an incredible piece of great literature, but it has the kind of elements kids love and intertwines them really well.

What you will like about this story:  There is plenty of action, including videogames.  Ender is an intriguing, smart boy, and like so many protagonists in kidlit, he is an awkward outsider.  The battle scenarios are thoughtful, interesting and worth reading more than once.  The book moved and I got through it in two sittings.  Fairly engaging, I was happy to turn the page to see what would happen next. 

In some ways I was surprised.  I thought that this might be a complicated tale with undercurrents of Mormonism (Orson Scott Card is openly Mormon and the books have been called propaganda for the faith).  I found neither of these things to be true.  The book is fairly simple in terms of plot and fits into the mold of most fiction of this type.  I guessed the big reveal at the end and didn't find myself thinking of any deep moral questions when it was over.  And, while there might have been Mormon themes in the story I didn't pick up anything specific even thought I was actively looking for it.  (I'm told the Speaker series is more obviously based on Mormon beliefs).  The only subtext I saw was a real question about war, its purpose and its price.  I appreciated this given the unusual times we are currently living in.

The only element I didn't care for, which has been much talked about, is the age of the character.  I worked in schools for 30+ years.  Ender is six?  Nope.  But I just ignored that.  The film, which I haven't seen, had a sixteen year-old in the lead which fits better.  In my mind, as I read the book, I just aged Ender up.

In any case, a fun and entertaining novel.  Worth it (particularly on a longer flight).

No comments: