Thursday, March 04, 2021

The CW

I've finally figured out one of the problems with the CW shows.  I watch the CW more than any other network.  I love a good superhero show because they can be both engaging and escapist.  The CW has done well with the Arrowverse, creating depth in each series and providing a fresh take with every show.  And yet, while I love the shows, I find they kind of fade for me.  They start out great and then they just, kind of lose steam??? 

After I watched "The Flash" premiere I finally figured it out.  It is, to some degree, the revolving casts.  More than most shows (with the exception of maybe "Grey's Anatomy") the CW shows have a constant changeover in actors.  One might think it keeps the stories fresh, which could be true to some degree, but it also distances the viewer.  I love to connect not only to the story but to the characters.  I want to love them or hate them and I look forward to seeing them every week, discovering, along with them, the challenges and joys they encounter.  When I'm constantly trying to get to know a new set of characters I get tired.  And I stop caring.  Who is Allegra?  Don't really know.  And she's not growing on me.  Some new faces do -- I've come to like Cecile, but that took two years.  Will Allegra be around that long?  Probably not.  All of the Arrowverse shows tend to cycle through multiple major players every year.  

So, my two bits for the producers out there.  Find the humanity in your heroes and let us connect to that.  If a character is peripheral, so be it.  Just don't highlight someone and then walk away.  It's not good storytelling.

No comments: