Monday, June 17, 2019

"What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty

A delightful surprise.  Having torn through a book I took on vacation my cousin offered this treasure, which I managed to read in four days despite the heavy page count.  Australian author Liane Moriarty (sister to Jaclyn Moriarty, a YA author whose "A Corner of White" I really loved) apparently writes a lot about suburban wives and mothers.  This book, where a power soccer mom loses her memory of the past 10 years, brings up great questions about identity, relationships and family.  Intriguing in its slow reveal of Alice's past, it brings in different perspectives including that of Alice's sister and her surrogate mother figure.  These outside voices aren't critical to the narrative but they round out a tale which is accessible and yet not black and white.  They help to make the point that relationships around us, be they family or lovers, are often unexpected and complex.  I really liked the idea that life simply doesn't go where you point it, which is something I have said for years.  The bigger questions -- who stays with you on the ride and whether you can roll with the curves, is one left to the reader to decide.  I liked the concept here and a book which had me thinking a lot about how we move forward.

No comments: