Monday, January 25, 2016

"George" by Alex Gino

This short award winner details the story of George, a child who is, without a doubt, a girl.  The prose is simple and heartfelt, drawing in the reader to the challenge faced by so many.  A fourth grader, George hopes that she can get the role of Charlotte in the school play.  She believes that by appearing as a female in front of all, they can see her as she sees herself.  Throughout the first part of the book, there are aching moments, a sense of her personhood being denied, as no one around her seems to see what she knows at the core of her being.  Imagine being out in the world and treated as if no one really sees you as the person you are.  It would be like being invisible, or like living inside of a costume day in and day out.  Or both.  There were a good number of moments I simply cried at the pain she felt.  George is lucky, however, in that she has a great friend, Kelly, who is tremendously supportive of all of George's struggles, even when she is unable to articulate them.  I remembered, while reading the book, a student I knew who went through this.  First, for longer than I imagined, I struggled with the pronoun issue.  Not in what I called him, but in that moment before I referred to him, when my brain had to consciously make the change.  Then, one day recently, I saw him and there was no question.  The minute I laid eyes on him, my mind said "him."  A triumph for all.  That happens a good deal in this book, as George refers to herself with a female pronoun, while the world refers to her using male references.  It is just a small taste of the dissonance that George faces every minute during her existence.  There were a number of other things I really liked about this book -- it is real in the sense that the reactions are not what you would think and nothing is particularly clean.  The bullies aren't done away with, and George's family reacts in ways that may be unexpected, but are, in their complexity, fully human.  It's a great story, and one that nearly everyone who reads it will "get."  Brava, Alex Gino.  So glad that a person like George can come into the light.

No comments: