Friday, May 15, 2015

"Greenglass House" by Kate Milford

This one is complex.  So complex that I was surprised 5th graders at a local elementary school selected it as a favorite, but then we tend to constantly underestimate kids and what they can get from the books they read.  This one reads like a magical twist on an Agatha Christie tale.  There are tons of themes -- adoption, mystery, geography, role-playing games, history, ghosts.  This is a story inside a story inside a story, all with an ever-so-slight Steampunk atmosphere.  There is a boy, Milo, who lives in an a smuggler's inn at the top of a hill.  There are unexpected guests in the dead of winter, who bring with them stories of their own and a book with more stories.  There are good guys, bad guys and people with secrets.  Most of all, there is a local legend or two adding to the atmosphere of it all.  Did I like the book?  I did.  I wish I had been able to curl up with it and read it through, since my stop and start routine did not lend itself to an appreciation of the many twists and turns.  I did find it a challenging read.  The prose was not eloquent, and I guessed at a huge reveal very (very) early in the tale, which may have taken away some of the punch at the climax.  On a personal level, I felt some of the many threads were left unexplained, and, like mysteries of old, there are false clues that lead nowhere.   Nonetheless, Ms. Milford has created a rich, layered world here, and it is easy to see how a reader would "fall into it" and the variety of characters she has invented.  Students voted this as a favorite pick, so I say to "check it out."

No comments: