Wednesday, November 06, 2013

“A Tangle of Knots” by Lisa Graff


Best book ever.  Unlike the dark, depressing, dystopian novels dominating the landscape these days, this one harkens back to an earlier era of children’s books by being delightful, clever, smart and fun.  In a world not too different from our own, most people have a “Talent.”  This can be anything from spitting to knitting, baking cakes to playing an oboe.  The tales of ten people interweave in this mysterious yarn (yes, all puns intended, in honor of our author’s great writing style) to show us that we are all part of something greater.  A mysterious man in gray has a talent for tying knots.  He travels through this world with echoes of L. Frank Baum’s “Wizard of Oz” helping each character make connections with their past and with each other.  The chapters are short and jump from one person’s point of view to the other (much like Fleischman’s "Seedfolks").  There is a palpable sense to the story – made even stronger by repeated “sounds” articulated in the text.  As a reader, I loved the many moments where I exclaimed “Oh!” because another facet of the story was becoming clear.  The characters, ranging from four young people to their parents and the adults around them, are nicely realistic and a good mix of hopeful and flawed.  There isn’t great drama here, just enough of life to draw you in with a sense of cozy familiarity.  Recipes for the most delicious cakes are sprinkled throughout the book and I simply had to copy them for future baking efforts.  The only downside to this book is that I really wanted to read it in one or two sittings.  Since my reading tends to be fairly fractured I had to really focus on the storyline each time I started to read it or run the risk of being mightily confused.  No fear.  Within minutes of picking it up I was drawn in.  This book is “highly” relatable … which of us doesn’t dream of having that one thing that helps us stand out in the world?  Brava to Ms. Graff for writing something I looked forward to reading and something that didn’t leave me reaching for a Rom/Com DVD after finishing it because I had to lift my mood.  (Without too much of a spoiler, I’m happy to report that the pet does NOT die!  In fact, no one dies!)  If you are looking for something fresh, amusing and "just right" check out this book.

No comments: