Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen" by Geraldine McCaughrean

At some point, I'm going to have to figure out why I keep reading Geraldine McCaughrean's books when I don't particularly like them. I think, in part, they are all very different and I don't recognize them as being by the same author until after I start them, then at some point, I stop and say "What???" and look up the author. To its credit, I liked this one more than "White Darkness" but considerably less than "Pepper Roux." The thing is, I should have liked it. The delightful adventures of a misbegotten theatre troupe at the turn of the century? What's not to love? Well, let's start with "turn of the century" -- I'm really not sure when the book takes place, and I read it -- thoroughly. It is during the life of Queen Victoria, when trains are replacing steamboats and electric generators are used by the well-off. So, I'd put it late 1800's? Anyway, three young children and their school teacher have their lives upended by a tragedy, followed by a plague, followed by a flood, followed by ... well, you get the idea. Each chapter seems to want to top the previous one in building up improbable adventure after improbable adventure. I am more than happy to lend some "willing suspension of disbelief" as the next person, but there comes a point of total incredulity. There is also such a whirlwind of action that I really had a hard time connecting with the large cast of characters. Hint: If you have so many characters in your tale as to require a "list of players" at the beginning, then you have too many characters or you aren't drawing them strongly enough for readers to connect (both, I'd have to say). That, and the vocabulary was challenging enough to have me grabbing for a dictionary ... repeatedly. Despite the constant tumult, I didn't find myself wanting to see what would happen next, and it took me three times longer to read this than it should have. I don't think it is a "bad" book per say, but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Having read three Geraldine McCaughrean books thus far, I may be a little more picky about picking up her next one. For those willing to take on a rollicking, fantastical tale, be my guest.

No comments: