Tuesday, November 01, 2011

"Airborne" by Kenneth Oppel

I recently saw Kenneth Oppel speak. I had just finished “Half-Brother” but was eager to read “Airborn,” his big-hit award winner, which was a fantasy. After reading a good deal of historical and realistic fiction, it was long past time to enjoy my favorite genre. I could not have been more pleased. This rollicking adventure set in a steam-punk style alternative Earth is hugely engaging due to “Matt Cruse” – his 15 year-old protagonist, a ship’s boy so real, with dreams so large, that you can’t help but feel a connection. Matt is a cabin boy on the Aurora, one of thousands of airships which cross the world in place of airplanes. We meet him in his favorite spot – the crow’s nest of his mighty vessel, staring into the dark of a wide sky. The adventures build quickly and may seem eventually seem improbable, but Matt’s pure heart and his newfound attraction for the plucky Miss Kate deVries make this a fun tale. It’s sentimental without the sap, solid literary writing that is accessible. There are shipwrecks and pirates and the discovery of … well, something quite special. There’s even a loss I didn’t expect, but one that makes Matt’s quest for a better life all that more poignant. Nothing is black and white here, more sepia-toned with shades upon shades. The book is long, but the pacing good. I had no problems careening through to see “what would happen next.” In all, it was one of the most satisfying books I have read in a while. Perfect to curl up on the couch with over a cold, rainy weekend. People often talk about books being like food – this one was like a seven course meal. It truly took me out of myself and into a rich world of the author’s design.

No comments: