Tuesday, September 20, 2011

“Akata Witch” by Nnedi Okorafor

I seem to be in this place where I’m judging books by their cover. Definitely not a good call for a librarian. First, I mistake “Okay for Now” as a contemporary middle school humor novel (when it is actually a high school historical fiction coming-of-age book) and with this novel, I assumed some sort of Asian mythology. Had I looked more carefully at the cover or known the origin of the word “Akata” I would have known better. This fast-reading story is about a 14 year-old named Sunny who is an albino Nigerian girl born in the U.S. and now returned to her home country. Sunny feels a little lost – in part because of her looks, and in part because of a vision she has which presages very dark things to come. We quickly discover that Sunny is not like other people, and her differences have little to do with her skin pigmentation. One of the “Leopard Folk,” she discovers a hidden heritage and magical abilities she could only imagine in the opening pages of the book. It’s a fun tale of young teens on one of those epic journeys to stop the “big bad” and it is enlightening in terms of seeing a country I knew little about in very different ways. Despite the inevitable Harry Potter comparisons (isn’t that the case with everything these days?) it is not derivative. Any complaints I have are minor. There are some editing issues – Sunny apparently returned to Nigeria at age 9 but has been best friends with Orlu since they were five. It’s minor, but issues like these are distracting to me and should have been caught before publication. The other complaint isn’t really a complaint, but an oddness. The real story is about Sunny’s journey to self-actualization rather than the "let's get the bad guy" focus. The dramatic climax, including the epic battle, is only a few pages long. It’s almost as if this part of the tale is secondary to the character growth and relationships that occur. I don’t mind, it’s just not typical. While I enjoyed the story, I couldn’t help wondering when they were going to get to the inevitable conflict. It will be interesting to see how teen readers react to this style, as it is so different from your standard YA novel of this type. Overall, I enjoyed the book a good deal. I hope others will, too.

No comments: