Thursday, June 24, 2010

"Here Lies the Librarian" by Richard Peck

I've never read the prequel to this book, "A Teacher's Funeral," but had assumptions about it based on the humorous cover and general reviews. So, when I had a free moment I picked it up. And was surprised. Not in a good or bad way, just surprised. At 141 pages, it's a short little thing and the overall look is clearly middle school. The story, of a tomboy who works on cars but discovers another path in life, was definitely middle school focused. I guess what surprised me was the complex storytelling. Vocabulary and historical references (the book is set in 1914) are specific, and far above the heads of most teen readers, I would think (heck, I didn't even understand some of them). The book is humorous, my favorite line being "Well, we read very little, but we don't mind if others does. We're Methodist." I just have no idea who it would appeal to. There are extreme details of cars of the period but little action, so I don't see guy appeal. Lots of discussion of clothing as well, but almost too much? The period was set well in the first chapters, I do feel it was belabored after that. Peck writes like Twain, his vernacular is right on point. But I would think that is likely to distance a contemporary reader who knows nothing of the era. All in all, it was cute and had moments, but it wasn't a page-turner and I see it as a niche book -- one that will just have to find the right person to truly appreciate it.

No comments: