Thursday, January 14, 2010

“Graceling” by Kristin Cashore

I am a bit perplexed by my reaction to this book. On one hand, I found it incredibly formulaic. A typical fantasy, there is a map of a mythical land in front and the tale of a “unique princess” who likes sword-fighting in the pages following. There are perilous journeys through forests and seas, the slightest hint of magic/mysticism and a good-looking prince who “irritates” the princess. All of which is pretty standard fare. Added to that a very convenient moment that occurs during one climax and the weighty 471 pages (there are lengthy, Dickensonian descriptions – no one “sits down”, they “sit in the chair next to her and lean sideways”) and you would think my reaction would be “eh”.

In fact, I loved it.

Yes, it is typical fantasy fare, but this is pretty much my favorite genre, so it wasn’t onerous. And no, I’m not a fan of romance, but they manage to keep things at a rough and tumble level (literally) for most of the book with very little “How can I ever be apart from you?” whining most of the time (yes, I did roll my eyes once or twice, but only once or twice). I think it is just fantasy done well. The language is formal enough to make you feel the different time/different place thing without being distanced by it (can I just say how much I hate fantasy books with contemporary language???) The adventure was compelling enough to make me want to turn the page – although the tramping about in the forest got a little old. But it got old for me in the Harry Potter books, too, so no big. The biggest draw was the richness of the characters. Yes, it is tremendously refreshing to return to a self-assured, kick-ass heroine like Katsa after struggling through the wimpy pity-party that is Bella, but she wasn’t the only character drawn in multi-dimensions. Every character, from love interest Po to random sailor, is given a physicality and style. It was easy to connect to people who felt real. The names are also cool – Princess Bitterblue being one of the more fun ones. And it is a deeper, darker book than you might expect for a fluffy fantasy. There is death here, and unnamed but easy-to-guess-at abuse. At least one injury took me by surprise. The sexual aspects of the story are covered with a bit more detail than I expected, although they seem to get fuzzy at exactly the right moments. Perhaps that is the great strength of the book – it has that perfect balance point. It’s not “too much” of anything but just the right amount of most things. In several ways, it echoed McCaffrey’s Pern books, and I kept remembering the thrill I had reading those – the rush as each new one came out. It is a sense of anticipation about a series I haven’t had in a long time. I read this book because the companion novel/prequel, “Fire” is showing up on most of the recommended lists coming out this time of year. I can’t wait to read it.

No comments: