Thursday, October 22, 2009

“Alabama Moon” by Watt Key

Simply one of the best books I have read this year. Fresh with surprising twists, it was a terrific read. Ten year-old Moon Blake has been raised in near total isolation by his survivalist father in rural Alabama. When the father breaks his leg and refuses to be treated, he dies; leaving Moon to try and follow the father’s last commandment – travel to Alaska, where Moon will find others who believe as they do. Needless to say, things don’t turn out as planned. Moon’s incredible ability to fend for himself is juxtapositioned with his complete lack of understanding about the outside world. The detailed prose creates an engaging story that had me staying up late at night to see what would happen next. Many of the adults are sympathetic but make poor choices about how to engage with this complex young man. The result is a tumultuous adventure as Moon learns to appreciate, and finally trust, some of those around him. Moon’s honest voice will draw in all readers, but it is delightful to have a book of strong literary merit which will definitely appeal to boys. Not for the squeamish (he kills and guts animals of the forest and the language of the book is a tad PG-13) it parallels the kinds of stories told by Gary Paulsen. As someone who has done my share of camping and hiking, I actually learned a lot about living in the wild. This is Mr. Key’s first novel, and it portends good things. Soon to be a film (coming to a theatre near you) I’m putting down a bet that this book picks up some awards in the coming months.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. I will definently put it on my reading list. will we have it in our library??

Book Fairy said...

This book is very...delicious. If it was a cookie, I would gobble it up. I recommend this book for 6-12 graders. I want this book to be in my own library. Moon Blake is a very interesting character....I just love this novel!

Library Lady said...

Yes, we have it in the HBW library now. Come and get it!