Sunday, August 24, 2008

“Aquamarine” by Alice Hoffman

“Aquamarine” is the story of two best friends spending their final days together in a summertime beach club. Their sadness is changed suddenly when they make an amazing discovery at the bottom of the pool. This popular “tween” book was made into a well-rated film in 2006 by Fox Pictures. I didn’t see it because I wanted to read the book first. I’ve been intrigued by the fandom of this brief little mermaid tale (just over 100 pages) and by adult author Alice Hoffman’s move to teen-focused fables. I read the story in one sitting and while it was enjoyable, I found it perhaps too brief. It’s a strange complaint – I felt I got the whole story and a good sense of the characters, but it just seemed a little “stripped down”. Perhaps it was a need for a better sense of context? Not the setting, which was also made quite clear, but something intangible, perhaps where the story “sits” in a larger sense. I’m now curious to see the movie, which would have to flesh out the bare bones narrative with something – and I’m curious to see what I seem to be missing. “Green Angel”, another of Hoffman’s new books, is supposed to be for a slightly older reader. I hope to check out that one as well. In the meantime, I think this book works for “tweens” and as a “hi/lo” title.

1 comment:

Natascha said...

this book was very suckish. the movie was better