Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

HYSTERICAL. This “novel in cartoons” is a very guy-centered depiction of young Greg as he begins middle school. Greg is not a wimp, nor is he a bad kid, but he is very much a “boy” and his attempts to do good while creating the most gain for himself had me laughing out loud. This fast read could be appreciated by younger readers as well as older ones. The font is large, made to look like hand printing on school ruled paper, and the cartoons are plentiful. The book borders on a graphic novel given the extensive images and the strong connection between picture and text. The drawings add emotional undertone to the words and the words convey subtleties in the cartoons (I love the Orphan Annie eyes on mom). As an older reader, I also enjoyed the book. The humor is obvious, but also arch and sardonic. If you have a free hour (our computers crashed and I got a chance to read for a change) then I highly recommend this book as an amusing diversion. (Side note: the author was local! He grew up in DC).

1 comment:

Natascha said...

This is an..........interesting....no, weird...no, strange...i can't describe it. I don't see how everyone LOVES this series. It's ridiculous. I mean, it's funny and all, but it doens't have a meaning. I read all 4 books, but they don't satisfy me. It's not on my number 1 reading list...i would recomend it to someone who likes a "funny" story.