Monday, October 30, 2006

Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? by Eleanor Updale

Honestly, this one took me a while to get into. Advertised as a mystery, it begins in a Phillip Pullman-like England…in an uncertain time of the past where there is a degree of the fantastical makes you wonder if we are talking about reality or science fiction. Montmorency, a thief, is rescued (temporarily) from his horrific jail cell by a doctor with some unorthodox methods. While on the outside, he learns secrets that he later uses, upon his release, to steal. From there, things get a tad complicated! I began to connect with the book when I saw the humanity dawning in Montmorency. He begins as a deeply unsympathetic character, but he grows. This book is densely woven. It is a mystery, as well as an adventure tale and historical novel, but it is also the story of redemption, and one that is very slowly plotted. Montmorency will always have a thief inside, but he becomes “The Gentleman” in ways he never expected. As the reader, I appreciated his realistic struggle to bring into balance his differing personas. There are now three sequels I have not read, but based on this book, I look forward to them.

1 comment:

Eric-Tastic said...

This was a great book that I found to be a bit of a "blast from the past" since this was the kind of novel I used to love, but soon faded into romance, being the sap that i am... It was a great book and I recomend it to anybody who can read!